Wow, what a ride! This program has really been something else. I have had times where I felt like I really understood what I was doing. I have had times where I questioned everything in my life. At this point, however, I feel that I have gotten a good idea of what an effective classroom looks like, and steps that I can take to replicate it in my own practice. One of the most important things I have realized during this experience is that the classroom is a community. Every student has their strengths. These strengths can be used to help support the community. No student is good at everything. Due to this, the strengths of a student in one area can support another student that struggles in that subject. Likewise, that same student might struggle in another subject and be supported by a peer that excels in that particular subject.

In my most recent practicum, I realized that the classroom environment can be really fun while at the same time being effective. Students tend to learn better when they are engaged with their learning. A fun environment can help motivate students to learn as it encourages them to pay attention and engage with the material. One great way to encourage student engagement is to be a little silly when giving a lesson. Tone of voice, examples, and connections can drive home a point and make the content more relatable for students.

Moving forward into my future career I aim to encourage a fun environment that motivates students to learn. I also aim to encourage community in the classroom. It is amazing what students are capable of. Often I have had my expectations exceeded by my students. No matter how simple the task, there are always students that are willing to bring it to the next level and blow your socks off.