If there is one thing to know about me it’s that I love to be outside! Be it kayaking, rafting, sailing, or ski touring the outdoors gives me a feeling of excitement that I want to share with others. As a teacher, I want to share my enthusiasm for the outdoors with every student that comes through my class. Getting outside is important for children both mentally and physically. Not only does outdoor education foster a sense of wellbeing in most children, it also helps them stay healthy via physical education. For these reasons, I aim to promote outdoor education as I believe it is a fundamental part of child development.

Growing up in a smaller town I understand the importance of community and the benefits it can have on children. Some of my earliest memories are of plays and music shows at the local theater. During these events, the community came together in laughter and focused attention. Seeing this as a child made me feel as if I was part of something bigger than myself and my family. In my classroom, I will do my best to replicate this deep feeling of community as I believe every child should come to school feeling as if they are supported by my peers.

One thing that I strongly dislike is bullying. In my childhood, I was a victim of years of bullying and understand the strong negative emotions it can cause. Through creating a strong sense of community I hope to prevent bullying by focusing on kids’ strengths. If children can see each other for their talents and not their weaknesses I think that the classroom community will be far more positive. As a teacher, I pledge to do all I can to limit bullying. The pain that it causes some children is unacceptable and I will do everything I can to stop it.

Follow me on Twitter @AlexHor33445672