Educators respect and value the history of first nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada, and the impact of the past on present and the future. educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation, and healing. educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being histories, and cultures of first nations, Inuit, and Metis.

For me, this standard is a special one for a number of reasons. One, it gives us the capacity to make amends with the past through action and deliberate practice. Two, it allows for Canadas First Nations People to be seen as they are and not as they were. Too often discourse surrounding First Nations peoples acts to freeze them in the past meaning that little room is left for those living in the present. Given this fact I look forward to incorporating FPPL into most of the teaching that I do as in doing this I will be aiding in the reconciliation effort as well as helping Canada’s First Nations people (past and present) to be seen, heard, and acknowledged.

So far I have worked to support standard 9 in several ways. First of all, I have made my best effort to meaningfully include FPPL in every lesson plan that I write. This means that I intentionally try to find interesting relationships between the FPPL and the content I am teaching. In this, I attempt to make meaningful connections and dive deep into the learning in an attempt to engage with FPPL in a real, and powerful way. Second, I try to include FN content in my lessons whenever possible. This is great as there is so many interesting lessons that can be made using FN content and themes.

In the future, I plan to continue my commitment to standard 9 and the inclusion of FN content into lessons. Throughout the course of EDUC 446, I feel that I have learned many valuable skills that I will be able to carry with me as I move forward into the profession of teaching. Doing this is more important now than ever and I pledge to make FN principles and practices central to my teaching.