I feel that in today’s day and age it is important to understand the broader context behind why we live in the society we live in today. I felt that the Indigenous Day of Learning helped to do this as it gave context to some of the institutions that still exist to this day. I particularly enjoyed the talk by Dr. Dustin Louie, as he covered a lot of really interesting information that I was unaware of. I particularly liked the way Dr. Louie talked about things in a frank manner. Although he did acknowledge problems from the past and present, he did so in a way that did not blame people. I feel that this is important as blaming people or groups for problems rarly ever changes the system. Instead, I feel it is better to inspire everyone to make the system better then it was before. Inspiring people allows them to see the same goal and work to achieve it.

Dustin Louie was a great inspiration to myself and many other attending the talk. I hope to here one of his talks in the future, and build on my knowledge now. I look forward to learning more about First Nations ways of doing things. At this point in the program there has been a lot of talk about the First Peoples Principles of Learning (FPPL). I hope to learn more about this educational lens going forward. As the educational system changes I want to be moving with that change. The system we have today has educated a lot of people to a high degree. Although it does have its problems it can be made better.