I can say this year definitely began with a rough start. There I was, in amongst the gulf islands, swinging helplessly on an anchor that I had never used before in a 55-knot storm. This was new years day and I was tired not because of the fun we had had the night before, but because I had stayed up the entire night making sure the boat would not blow into the rocks. During sleepless nights like this, a person has a lot of time to think. As I lay in bed and occasionally tended to the fire, I considered the year that was to come and the things that I was to do. As I reflected I realized the scale of the year I had just entered into. Not only was I going to graduate from the B.Ed program in 2021, but I was also going to get a master’s and possibly a job in the education system. This was a lot to take in and although the boat would shake violently in the wind, and the anchor alarm would go off frequently, I had comfort in knowing the future was bright.

For my one word, I would choose resilience. School can take a toll on a person’s willingness to be motivated for anything (let alone school work). This in combination with my friends’ constant invitations to come sail to new and exciting places made keeping motivation for my work difficult at times. This being said, I have kept at it and am doing well thus far. I know that things will not get easier, however, I am a firm believer that a determined mindset can bring you through just about anything (as long as you set yourself up for success regularly).

I can remember that last semester I got swamped by work at one point and felt like every assignment I finished would be replaced by three more. At this time I was beginning to feel a little hopeless as the days seemed to roll into one with the only common factor being that I never had enough time. One day however I was in my observation at one of the schools around Prince George and noticed that I was beginning to feel more comfortable with the classroom environment. At this moment I realized that I might be able to do this. I might be able to be a really good teacher if I just kept at it and stayed determined. This was a great moment for me and I look back at it when I am swamped with homework and reflect on the fact that I can in fact do this.

I look forward to seeing where this program takes me and am determined as ever to learn all I can to be the best teacher I can be. We are not simply doing this program to get a piece of paper to put on our resumes, rather, we are training to become education professionals who inspire children to be the best they can be in life. I am determined to learn all I can in order to fulfill this ideal. Although there can be stormy waters, one needs to know that as long as they are on top of things they will indeed make it to the morning and hopefully calmer waters. All we can really do is try not to drag anchor and hold on tight.